What dog does not love getting a treat or two now and then. Dog owners also love giving their dogs treats. If you have a dog, then you have a good idea of what your dog likes to nibble on. There are so many treats available these days and they all come in all different shapes, sizes, colors and consistency. For every great dog treat, there are some treats in the market that are not so good. These treats can harm your pet by being stuck in dogs throat or intestines. This may cause choking or worse. If you love treating your canine friend, you will want to be aware of the goodies that can be potentially harmful. Even with treats that are not usually dangerous, you must monitor your dog when they eat.

Greenies: Most dogs really enjoy these treats. They are offered as a treat to help your dog’s teeth clean. However, please be aware that the greenies can cause suffocation. This is because dogs eat these very quickly get large chunks to lodge in the throat. Young puppies should not eat this treatment, and dogs that are prone to scarfing food. If your dog eats these treats, be aware of potential vomiting, bloody stools, and difficulty breathing. If you notice any of these symptoms after your dog has eaten this treat, seek medical attention.

Rawhide chews: What dog does not love snacking on these chewy treats? Rawhide is good because it cleans your dog’s teeth and keep your dog occupied. But rawhides are dangerous as well. A quantity of rawhides that come from places outside the U.S. may actually be preserved with arsenic-based chemicals that will be captured by your doggie when he or she chews. For this reason, make sure that any rawhide treat your purchase is processed in the United States where this preservative is forbidden. If you can not tell where a treat originated do not buy it! In addition, you still need to watch your dog when he her she is munching rawhide to prevent suffocation. Make sure you buy rawhides the right size for your dog. A small dog needs small sized rawhide treats.

Chocolate: Chocolate is a terrible thing to allow dogs to eat. Of course, sometimes dogs get into candy and cake without your knowledge. Chocolate is toxic to both dogs and cats, so you should be aware of your dog sneaking chocolate snacks, especially around the holidays. Chocolate contains an ingredient called theobromine. This works in the dog about the same way caffeine acts in the human. Little will make doggie hyperactive, but a large dose can be fatal. If your dog has gotten into chocolate, look for vomiting, shallow breathing and irregular heartbeat. A visit to the emergency vet may result.

Bones: It seems that it is right for any dog to be able to munch on a real bone from time to time. Dogs love bones of all kinds. However, some bones may be dangerous. Both chicken and turkey bones are especially dangerous because they are brittle. When your dog chews on them, they can easily splinter and cause choking. Some pork and beef bones can also cause the same problem. Veterinarians agree that one of the safest bones you can give your dog is a tibia. If you need to give your dog a bone, make sure you supervise your pooch and if he or she shows signs of bleeding, you should call your vet immediately for advice.

This is not to say you can not give your dog an occasional treat. This is one of the fun parts of owning a dog. You should watch your dog and ensure that your dog is safe when snacking. Always pay attention to what kind of treat you give your dog in the event of a recall.

The Author writes for Labradoodle puppies for sale Australia.

Bloggers that are searching for more info about house train a dog, make sure to visit the link that was quoted in this passage.

| RSS feed for comments on this post

Comments are closed.