Dogs are probably the most loved pets. Pet owners have the habit of tossing a piece of the food they are eating with the pet not knowing that some people food can poison the pet. It is really be surprising how some foods that are safe for humans can be toxic to dogs. Humans and dogs are believed to have many genetic similarities but they differ in many ways as well. In spite of the similarities, dogs, unlike their human friends cannot tolerate chocolates. Not many pet owners are aware of the toxic effect of chocolates to their pets. Chocolates are comfort foods that give humans loads of benefits. Chocolates and dogs would be a dangerous combination.

The substance theobromine in chocolate is the reason why this world’s most loved treat is toxic to dogs. Theobromine, a chemical that is similar to caffeine is a naturally occurring substance found in cocoa beans. Theobromine is dangerous to dogs as it acts as stimulant that causes frequent urination, affects heart muscles and the kidneys and the central nervous system. These dangerous effects are caused by the dog’s inability to digest this substance. Continued consumption will increase the accumulation of the substance in the dog’s system until the high level of toxic concentration causes a variety of medical concern.

Dog people love chocolates and because dogs are well loved pets, the chocolate bar or the Black Forest cake the dog owner is eating will be shared with the pet. Apparently, a dog will not show signs of poisoning if only a small amount of these kinds of chocolates are consumed. A good news to dog owners that are unaware of the harmful effects of chocolates to the dog is the fact that the toxicity of this food is dose dependent so that the pet has to consume from 100 to 150 milligrams of chocolate per kilogram of body weight before the pet will be affected. The toxicity level would depend on the type of chocolate consumed. Because white chocolates is low in theobromine content, the toxicity level is also low. Because of the low theobromine content, a dog has to consume 200 ounces of white chocolates before clinical signs of poisoning can be noticed. Milk chocolates and semi-sweet chocolates contains more of toxic substance thus a substantial amount consumed will be dangerous to the pet. The baking chocolate is the most dangerous ass it has the highest theobromine content. Although a dog owner may not give the dog baking chocolate it is still possible for the dog to ingest substantial amount because the dog’s nose would find where the chocolates are kept and would have an eating spree. This situation calls for immediate treatment to save the life of the pet. Furthermore it is important to know what to do if your dog eats chocolate.